Forest City Brewers News and Headlines
Monthly Meeting Podcasts
Did you miss a meeting or want to go back and relisten to a meeting you attended? Starting with the July 2015 meeting, all meetings will now be podcasted. So, just click on the Podcasts tab above and listed to any meeting starting with the July 2015 meeting.
New BJCP Guidelines
The long awaited 2015 BJCP Guidelines have been release. The new guidlines are very different from the 2008 Guidelines. If anyone is thinking of taking the BJCP exams, they will start using the new guidelines in November 2015. For BJCP sanctioned competitions they may use either set of guidelines. Make sure you check with the competition organizer. Clike the link below to download the new 2015 BJCP Guidelines.
2015 BJCP Guidelines
Illinois House Bill 630
ILLINOIS HB630 IS NOW LAW!!!
So, what does this mean for homebrewers?
Homebrewers now have the following requirements:
* No one under 21 years of age may homebrew, and beer may not be sold at anytime.
* The Commission must regulate the activities outside the homebrewer's residence.
* A license must be obtained if beer is offered at a festival.
* Dram Shop Liability Insurance is required.
* Samples (at festivals only) may be given to consumers, at least 21 years of age, but no more than three 2 ounce samples to each consumer. Note: Previously, these festivals gave full size beers to basically anyone who asked, which is one of the reasons why the Commission shut them down.
* Homebrewers may not brew anywhere outside the home other than at a business at a fixed location that sells supplies and offers educational classes.
* Homebrewers may hold contests at a licensed premises; however, only judges (certified by a National Homebrewing Organization) may sample the beer. At no time may the homebrewers give their beer to anyone at a licensed premises other than a certified judge.
For more information. Go to the Illinois General Assembly website for details about the bill.